Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Religion is just a Language


"The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.


The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things."


From the Tao Te Ching, Chapter 1- Translated by Stephen Mitchell (1988)

I want to write about this today, because I am about to embark on a 40 day journey with friends and family through a book called May Cause Miracles, by Gabrielle Bernstein.  My biggest concern is that someone would stop reading it or following the course beceause Gabrielle tends to be God heavy in her talk.  But her message is universal and she is not excluding anyone who might not believe in the One True God or who doesn't necessarily pray or believe in "miracles" like Jesus' face on your breakfast toast.  

Over time I have been developing a theory.  How is it that so many different groups can believe so vehemently in their own god and be so sure that their god is the one and only real god?  Because they are right.  Their god is the real, true god and so is yours and if you don't believe in god, it's okay, because their god is the same as your nature, your peaceful calm, and your humanity.  It is all the same.

I believe that every religion is talking about the same things, just using different language.  One of the pitfalls of being a human being is that for us to think about something so abstract, we have to give it some kind of form.  You can't think about nothing.  Thus, over the centuries, different groups have named that feeling, that sense of universe and beginning so that they can think about it and talk to others about it.  How are you going to teach your children about it if you can't name it or describe it?  But as the Tao Te Ching so aptly states, the unnamable is the eternally real.  Naming is where we go wrong, where we divide and rage against each other.  

My background is growing up Catholic.  I love the feeling of being in church and being swept away by that feeling of togetherness, and the sound of the choir.  The reason I started to veer away from the Catholic church is that the Bible tends to personify god.  Our Catholic God tended to be seen as a white bearded male that was benevolent and loving or fierce and destructive. So much power is given to the written word.  And yet, our God is the same god as Yahweh, as Shiva, as the Moon and the Sun, as Nature, as the Universe, as Tao, as the Great Feminine and Masculine, as the Source of all Things.  We are all calling the same thing by different names.  As soon as we name it, we give it properties that it did not previously have.  As soon as we call it something, we have lost the true spirit of it.  Even now I struggle what to say.  As soon as I say we call "it" something, we lose the spirit of "it," I have named it and therefore have given properties to something that is perfectly perfect when left unnamed.  

Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad, all the prophets spoke the same message.  Anyone who takes the time to read their stories with an open ear will hear the same things.  Love is the main message.  Acceptance, kindness, detachment from material things, detachment from ego.  They speak in riddles because words alone are not enough.  God, the Source of All Things, the Universe, the Tao, is both black and white, yin and yang.  Opposites are true at the same time.  

As I write this I worry about what my family will think.  I have been brought up to believe that Jesus is God and basically that what I am saying is a bit sacrilegious   I worry that my mother will say "You have forsaken Jesus!  Jesus is the Lord!"  And she's right that he is Lord.  As he said, that God is within us all.  He was God, as am I, as are you.  He is in Muhammad's God.  He is in Yahweh.  How could he not be?  Do we really believe that there are several gods out there? That my God is going to smite your God?  That because you believe in that God (which, by the way, just so happens to be my God) you are going to Hell?  How can we possibly say that God is not in the believer of that other God?  How can we not say that God is in that other God?  He is in everything, yes?  Than how is he not there?  

And I hear how when I talk about God, with a capital G, it becomes a he or she.  It becomes a being, that must have thoughts and feelings.  "He" must have a "plan." "She" must want this thing or that thing to happen. "He" must be responsible for things.  Creation then becomes a planned thing, where God sat down and decided that this and this should happen first, and that should happen second and homosexuality must be evil and women can't be priests.  And if you commit suicide you go to hell, as well as when you have sex before marriage or disagree with the Church (or do anything fun basically).  

In my meditations (same as prayers, people) I have decided not to give just one name.  It helps me from imagining some being somewhere listening to me like Santa Claus come Christmas time with a Naughty and Nice list.  It keeps me centered and focused on the message.  I tend to start my meditations/prayers with Dear God/Source/Universe/Tao/Me/You/Us.  If I'm in a hurry I go with GSU- God, Source, Universe.  It sounds complicated, but giving more names reinforces to me that I am speaking of the feeling, the soul inside of me, the energy field surrounding and within us all, the space where all things begin and end, reality, the present moment.  

I am hoping that more people in the world will begin to see this.  It doesn't matter if you believe in the good old GSU or not.  "It" is there (and nowhere) whether we call it by Yahweh or God or nothing at all.  Thoughts on this?  Love to hear them.  


2 comments:

  1. I totally resonate with this. As my spiritual beliefs shift, and expand...I find I am triggered by the language use in my religious schooling (baptist). I am slowly more able to hear them with out the pain of the condemnation that I received with them.
    I also understand that LANGUAGE is the unique thing in our brain that helps us make meaning of our worlds, of our stories. For example...DOG. What do you think of when I say DOG~ what do you see?
    I see MY EXPERIENCE with the dogs in my life. probably a very different dog than you may see. Language, while it brings commonality, is just the surface. There is so much more personal meaning behind each and every word.

    I'm learning to allow others their language, and to use what makes me comfortable.

    A few days ago, I had someone remark on my FB page, that they would NEVER take one of my meditation classes because they don't follow new age practices and that they were followers of Jesus Christ.

    The child in me was hurt...as she implied that I was not, or that my class was some abomination.

    I then recalled the mantra: I am above no one, I am beneath no one. I am independent of the good and bad opinions of others. I am courageous and I am LOVE.

    And then I replied, "Jesus Christ attends all my classes."

    I hear what you are saying Mary, and we are all connected...we are all ONE...no matter the name we use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that, Allison! He does attend your classes! I am hoping that we can be a part of helping everyone see the commonalities. I am hoping that it will bring more of us together.

    ReplyDelete